Sunday, January 28, 2007

It Ain't No Fun If Da Shnow Monkeys K'ant Have N'un

Well, have I been busy. Jack Frost 2007 is here and I am running a crew of ruffians and snow monkeys. We are building the guts of Jack Frost. We are making the blocks of marble that the sculptors will carve into art. Yes, we have the important and enviable job of stomping in boxes of snow in -15.
A tough job and who better to do it than these cold lookin' people:
I had the oppurtunity to help interview and hire my crew this year. Out of our original five only two were approved by the hrdc. So we had to go back and scrape the bottom of the barrel. And what was at the bottom of the barrel, but gold. Golden Snow Monkeys. My crew is fantastic. They are easy goin', fast learnin', hard workin', team playin', do what they are a toldin', and don't hesitate to let me know if there is a better way of doing somethin'. They have skillz to pay the Jack Frost Billz. They make this job so much easier. Because I'm always doing that supervisor thing of talking on the phone to a multitude of people or running all over the place looking for washers, or looking pensive, scratching my beard trying to lay out the 50 by 62 foot maze. And when I'm doing that, what are they doing? Paying da billz! Stompin' da snow! Long live the Snow Monkeys. May I do my best to steer us true! Take a look at what we have done so far.

Cat dumping snow into a flimsy plywood form.
The result: impressive but proved to be "wonky" looking and not very straight or plumb.
We made a more sturdy form (at right) and knocked down the other walls. We had to move the maze anyway.
Finished 62 foot wall for the back of maze.
We have completed about a third of the maze so far. We had a beautiful work day, today. It was about -10 and sunny. Strange to say but it was very comfortable. The next couple of weeks are going to be "all go". Peter, the head sculptor, arrives tonight. The sculpture tent should go up tomorrow and then we will probably be working to get all the "marble" blocks ready for the rest of the sculptors when they arrive on Thursday or Friday. All the pieces are coming together. The weather has been fabulous. Negative temperatures every day. Bloody cold and it looks like it isn't going away.

2 comments:

T.Stretch said...

Looks and sounds like you are having a good time!! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!! Without Snow Monkeys would there be a Jack Frost?

FYI ~Your hard work and dedication to you and your team have not gone unnoticed.

If I'm smiling already; I can only imagine the smiles on the faces of the children when they get to experience and enjoy the wonderment of the Aliant Snow Kingdom, the Technomedia Snow Maze, and all the sculptures that began with a little stompin' from your crew.

Cheers!

Jessica said...

Wow! I wish I could go in a snow maze! Why does Nation's Capital Winterlude suck so hard, and Charlottetown get not only the best bru-ha-ha, but the best snow monkeys too? Curses, curses I say!